Like many, my relationship with my hair has been at times a rather emotional and experiential affair. As a child, I always had long thick hair, like a rope. If I had been smart, I would have left it natural, but like many teenagers, I choose to use my hair as a way to experiment.
Many people are surprised when I tell them I once had blond hair. Terrible mistake! It started with a few rounds of professional highlights and then I took matters into my own hands with DIY dye sets from Boots. After a year or two of painting my hair yellow, I finally realized the damage I was doing. I had it dyed back to its natural color and over time let my natural color grow through.
Now, I have just a few highlights underneath and in the lengths of my hair to give that natural sun kissed look. I don’t think I’ll dye my hair in full again, at least not until the grays kick in! Now that I am older and wiser I take care of my hair much better. I have picked up some nifty tips along my hair journey and decided to share them, along with my favorite products and tools!
My Hair Hacks:
- I only wash my hair when needed. Normally that’s only two or three times max a week.
- Each time I run out of shampoo and conditioner, I go and buy a different set in order to give my hair a variety of ingredients.
- If I have the time, I will leave it to dry naturally in a towel. I only use the hair dryer when I’m in a rush.
- I use a hair mask every other week. But by hair mask, I actually mean coconut oil. Coconut oil is the best hair mask I have ever used and the cheapest! Olive oil is good too.
- I brush my conditioner into my hair with a tangle teaser. This makes such a difference to my hair! I also try to leave the conditioner in as long as possible before rinsing. So, I shampoo, rinse, condition, everything else, then rinse.
- The last thing I do before getting out of the shower is turn the water all the way to cold. This closes the pores on your scalp and is said to give hair extra shine.
- I get a hair trim every 6 to 8 weeks! (Or I did before moving to New York where even a trim is +$100).
My Hair Routine
Wash days: Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.
Non-wash days: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.
My Favourite Hair Products:
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hair Spray
- ORIBE Dry Texturizing Spray
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Voluminous Mousse with Flexible Hold
- Not Your Mothers Shampoo Dry Clean Freak
- L’Oreal Paris Dry oil
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Conditioner
My Favourite Hair Tools:
- Tangle Teezer Brush
- The Denman Brush
- Wooden Back Comb
- Drybar Hair Dryer
- Corioliss Curling Wand
- GHD Straightener
- Hair Dryer Brush
Recently, I was gifted a lovely hamper from Osmotics Cosmeceuticals. I was very excited to try their Blue Copper 5 volumizing shampoo and conditioner and so far have been loving them. I love to try products with unique ingredients, so it was definitely interesting to review this collection with copper and panthenol.
Thanks for reading!