I started ShePrevails just under two years ago. I had been reading other blogs for years and always wished I could have my own. When I finished college I started working right away but I didn’t love the industry I was in. It was marketing but not the type I really want to be doing. I love marketing, especially digital marketing and social media. It made sense to me that creating and maintaining my own blog and branded social media platforms would give me experience and could maybe one day help me to create a career that didn’t feel like work. There was just one problem, I cared about other people’s opinions.
I’d like to talk more about this eventually but I think it would be quite a personal post and better left for another time.
Long story short, at some point in that year I started to gain a new perspective on what I was doing with my life, versus what I wanted to be doing, and what was holding me back. I had a new routine, I was finally finished education, and I was surrounded by older and wiser people. I started to care less and less about opinions. One hot day in August, I opened my laptop, googled “thesaurus” and typed in words like “overcoming” and “bravery”. One of the suggested words that popped up was “prevails”.
ShePrevails was always a “lifestyle blog” AKA a bit of everything because I could never decide on just one thing. But I recently realized that the one thing I spend most of my time doing and thinking about is marketing, I also read marketing blogs more than any other type. So *light bulb* why don’t I start a blog series all about blogging.
So here we are, post numero uno. A quick summary of what’s to come in this series.
- What will you blog about, what is your niche?
- Where is your blog going to live? What platform is best?
- WordPress, Blogger, Squarespace, Wix, Weebly?
- Hosted or self-hosted?
- Who will you choose to host your blog?
- Bluehost, GoDaddy, Hostgator etc etc
- What will be your domain name?
- What aesthetic are you going for?
Skills & advice
- How to come up with a blog name. Or should you use your own name?
- What equipment do you need? Cameras, editing software, apps.
- The biggest blogging mistakes people make
- How to promote your blog and content
- How to write a blog post
- Social media for your blog
- How to create graphics
- How to work with brands
- How to make money blogging
- The good and bad strategies for gaining a followership
- What bloggers don’t what you to know
I have made a zillion mistakes and learned a ton in the last year and 8 months of blogging. There are so many things I wish I had known from the beginning, so my aim here is to cover everything and to be SUPER honest. I won’t be skimming over any gray areas. (Follow/ unfollows anyone?)
My aim is to cover one topic a week. Please let me know if you want me to cover anything specifically and give me the questions no one likes to answer, they’re my fave!